Saturday 19 March 2016

What Do You Expect From a Party Host?

Hello,

It's been a while.  I've been very busy with parties, expanding the type of work I do, settling children into school and generally enjoying life.

My daughter started nursery at school in September, and has been making many new friends.  I hope that some of them will be a good influence on her, and calm her down!  (She's very active and excited about everything and everyone.)  As a result of her new nursery setting, she has been invited to many parties recently, and for me, it has be VERY interesting to see how different party plans work.

Most have been fantastic!  I've loved being a parent at parties and watching how party hosts interact with the children and the adults there. I've also picked up a few ideas which I hope to implement at future parties, and considered how I would change/adapt if I was hosting that party.  I'm not here to moan about other party plans, each to their own etc.  (By the way, for my 4yr old daughter, I used the Gym Academy in Portishead, it was BRILLIANT!)

However, today my daughter went to a party that has this description on the website. 


 "We have dedicated party hosts to help you plan and personalise your party to make it a truely memorable event."

Perfect!

But this is my problem.  My idea of a party host is someone who is there to work for the children. Someone to smile, interact, make them feel special, and provide fun.  He/She should talk with the child's parents, be on hand all the time to make sure that what they ask for is done.  The party host today didn't do this. Their duties consisted of handing out tomato ketchup, putting pots of ice-cream in front of the children, giving them spoons and standing in a corner looking bored. The parents chatted with the children, encouraged them to eat their food, filled up their cups, refilled their cups and guided them with what to do.

Excuse me if I sound critical, but that doesn't sound like a 'dedicated party host... making it a truly memorable event.'

So, in true fashion, I've tried to work out how this could have happened.

1)  The host has this role as a weekend job and doesn't want to be there.
2)  The host has not received training in how to host a child's party.
3)  The host is young, and was intimidated by the parents there.
4) There is no set policy on how to interact or how to make a party memorable.
5)  The host is young, has no experience and has been thrown into the deep end.

I like to think that it is the 2nd option, which could be easily sorted with a little training. 

What is different about PartyEase

Communication.  What does your child want from his/her party?  What do YOU want from the party?   
Interaction.  From the moment I walk through the door, even during set up, my focus is on the children, making them feel comfortable and confident with me.  Children are the most important part of the party, they need to feel special.
Fun. -A party needs to be fun.
Inclusive. I have found that younger children don't always want to join in with all the party games.  And that's fine, every child is an individual, growing in maturity at different rates.  I make sure I have extra activities that the children can do independently, rather than sit on the side feeling left out.
Personal.  Every party is different.   All my parties are tailored towards the birthday child.  
Experience.  I don't want to give away my age, but I have nearly 20 years experience of working with children aged between 2 and 11. I know how to adapt to different situations, I know how to engage with children, and I still enjoy it!
Me. I do this job because I LOVE it. If I didn't, I'd do something else, but there's something about 20 children having fun, laughing, being loud and then going away saying that it was 'The Best Party Ever!' that really appeals to me.

Why not check out my website, and see if PartyEase Portishead is for you?

Or check out my 5* reviews on Facebook.  



One last note, I have used the above venue for my son's birthday in the past.  He and his friends thoroughly enjoyed it, and the host then was great too.  Maybe today's host just wasn't having a good day.  It's just that it made me think - what is it that I do that's different?  That is why I've not named the venue, or made any real hints to where it could be.   Those of you who were at the party with me today, know that our children didn't see things with adult eyes, and still had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment